Why Breeders refuse that

I have noticed a number of people with stories about how they tried to purchase an uncropped, undocked dog from a breeder, but were turned down because the breeder demanded that the dog’s body be docked or cropped.

What is your opinion on cropping and docking? Why do breeders refuse to allow their dogs to go uncropped or undocked? Would you ever request an uncropped/undocked dog?

This entry was posted in Dogs and tagged . Bookmark the permalink.

18 Responses to Why Breeders refuse that

1. suzy q says:

The reason that they turn you down is because if you don’t actually BUY the puppy, it will be harder to resell, since most breed lovers prefer cropped & docked in those breeds.

Breeding is a business first.

2. julvrug says:

Probably because part of the value is the processes that keeps the dog within its breeds standards. If they do not get the process done at a young age, they cannot get it done. This means if for some reason you refuse to buy the animal, they will not receive the full value for the puppy. The only way it would even be thinkable for a breeder to do this would be to make sure all funds for the animal are paid up front before the puppies are born.

3. bettathang says:

I personally don’t think there is any reason to crop or dock unless the dog will be shown, or is a working dog that might be compromised by having a full tail/ears. I dislike cropping a lot more than docking. As it was explained to me, breeders won’t allow undocked/cropped pups in case the buyer backs out on the deal or if the breeder would like to leave their options open for holding back a pup. Most breeders don’t want to be stuck with pups that are too old to get their tails docked and then can no longer sell them because they don’t “look like” the breed. I wouldn’t request an undocked tail as the next dog I buy from a breeder will be show quality (and this disqualifies from shows). If there is any way around it though, I would try to avoid ear cropping (as this is optional in some breeds now).

4. Ariane deR says:

I dont think they should insist on cropping and docking, but i do see the financial point if you asked them not to do it and then changed your mind and didn’t buy the puppy, it is harder on them to do it later, and they may have trouble selling it.

So in my opinion you should be able to request it NOT be done, and pay a sizeable deposit when the puppies are on the ground–and I think many breeders do let you do that, and ask when you are reserving if you want it cropped, and if so what kind of crop you want.

5. Alyssa says:

If I were buying a dog that is traditionally cropped or docked, I would prefer it that way. I know it’s not the “acceptable” thing these days, but it’s tradition, and whether people admit it or not, it has just as many perks as drawbacks. It started for functional purposes, and I’ve seen plenty of torn ears and bloody tails that convince me it still has it’s uses in modern society. As far as breeders demanding it… I can see why they would. For one thing, the dogs reflect on their breeding program, and it’s often hard to judge if a dog looks good or not when it’s a normally cropped/docked breed that is left natural. They also may be concerned about potential injuries. My dog is a Papillon, but he does have all his dewclaws removed, and I would have been annoyed with his breeder if they hadn’t been. That’s a slightly more “acceptable” practice (for some reason, one could argue it’s no more or less functional than cropping and docking, yet most people don’t go around bashing dewclaw removal).

I guess the bottom line is, the breeder owns the dog until you buy it, so they pretty much have control over what happens to the pup before you get it. If you don’t like a particular breeder’s practices, there are plenty of others you could go to instead.

6. Ani says:

My schnauzer and cocker both have docked tails, but I got them from the shelter this way. I refuse to crop my schnauzer’s ears.

If I were to buy a schnauzer from a breeder I would certainly request that the ears be uncropped. Cropping is supposed to cut down on ear infections, but I think if the buyer is aware of this and knows how to recognize an ear infection quickly, there isnt a problem.

The tail, in some breeds is also supposedly docked for health reasons. I would personally discuss it with the breeder and research it depending on the breed. If I decided it was unnecessary I would probably request that the tail not be docked.

I dont understand, however, breeders refusing. I think if the potential buyer understands what is entailed by leaving them intact, then I dont see a problem. Ive never heard of this though, quite the opposite, I keep hearing of breeders that refuse to crop and dock (I was furious with my brother in law when he got a dobie from a breeder that refused to dock and crop and then a week after he got her, he had her cropped and docked.

7. purplepixiewingz says:

Cropping and docking is cruel and imhumane. If someone is really a dog lover, why would they not love the dog in its natural state. There is no medical reason to crop or dock.

8. agilityteen says:

I do not have a problem with “natural” dogs. I own Australian Shepherds and all of them have had their tails docked. Docking has to be done with the pups are between 2-5 days, or else the tail will harden and it will be extremely painful to remove the tail.

At that age it extremely hard to tell which puppy will turn out the best conformationally. Since most responsible breeders are breeding for the best pup, they want all the pups to be on the same level. AKC requires docking on the Aussie, so if they breeder were to leave a puppy natural and it turned out the best, the breeder wouldn’t be able to show it.

Cropping is a little different. Most of the time that is done after the dog has left the breeder. That should be optional for the dog owner. Hope this helps!

9. say no to BSL says:

I believe in docking, but not in cropping. Cropping gives a dog absolutely no benefit and is therefore cruel, while docking often spares a dog from getting his tail injured later on from whipping it side to side too fast.

Some breeders refuse to allow their dogs to go UNDOCKED because docking is done when the puppy is very, very young, too young to determine whether or not it will be show quality, so the whole litter is docked. I have no certain idea about why they’d refuse to not crop – maybe so that ALL their dogs will conform to the breed’s cropping standard?

If I chose to buy, say, a Doberman pinscher from a breeder, I would not request that it not be docked, but that its ears not be cropped. Docking would save the dog pain later on in life…cropping would only give the dog pain. I would never buy from a breeder who refused to let me buy a dog without cropped ears.

10. jakebrink23 says:

because, have u ever seen a rottie with an uncropped tail? it looks like a rats tail, the way its shaped, but i still love rotties, even with an uncropped tail

11. ?Majestik moose© (envies DP) says:

it has nothing to do with reselling the dog later on-
    since it has to be done at such a young age-the breeder does the whole litter at once.
    Then they later pick over the pups.
    you can’t tell which pup is show/working prospect that young-so they do the whole litter.

12. found a cockerman! says:

Dobermans and cockers here leave docked. Period.
    Dobermans uncropped is ok. That is up to the person getting the pup. Now, if someone want an undocked doberman, well if they paid for the pup upfront, well I would probably do it. But I would not like it. I dont like the look. But I would respect the wishes of someone that wanted a natural look. I would also have a contract that stated that I advised against it.
    As for the ears, I do like the natural ears. I love the cropped ears though.
    tails I am for Docked… I dont like long tails.
    Hope that helped.

Ps. I am not breeding right now… but I do have cockers and dobermans all docked. and I use to breed them.

13. ? DP says:

Uncropped I don’t mind, as long as people are aware of how they will look as adults and are fine w/ the natural look.. I prefer to put natural eared dogs in homes that are used to the look and know what to expect..

Tails, they are done at 2-3 days of age.. There is no way anyone in this world could decide which dog out of the litter was best for any particular home.. So you cannot leave a tail undocked and hope that the dog turns out to be the one best for that person. I would rather that person look for an undocked dog somewhere else, than to pretend that I could see what their personality is like at 2 days of age.. If the dog turns out to be too much dog for them, or they change their mind, now I have an 10 week old puppy with a natural tail that I need to get docked.. The amount of people that ask for natural tails is so small that it just isn’t worth it to try and cater to those who are afraid of a docked tail.

14. dr_mariej says:

If the dog is from an AKC recognized breeder or a breeder that belongs to a breed recognition group, they have to honor the breed standards in order to maintain their status.

When you learn about the purpose and become more educated about the reasoning, sometimes that will change your opinion. Sometimes ears are done to prevent infection and disease; sometimes tails are done to preven burrs during their work. So check it out before you jump to conclusions.

I got my first Aussie from a rancher out in CO and the dog had his tail; it was very fluffy and beautiful. When I got my second Aussie I asked if they docked them and well this one was naturally docked. When I got my 3rd one, they refused as the dog came from champion lines and they had to keep their status with the AKC. It’s been that way ever since; if I want the tail I need to find a rancher again and not a breeder.

15. Husky Lover says:

Its the breed standard a purebred rott that has a long tail would appear to be a mix although AKCreg

I breed siberian huskies so i do hot have to worry about that

But i do not think earcropping is a must on anydogs.

16. Joh says:

I take it from the question that you are in the US. This is one of the few countries that still makes it compulsory to dock dogs for the show ring. I have heard of champion dogs being imported from Europe to the US and then the new owners not being able to show because of these archaic rules.

Maybe there needs to be a campaign to get the AKC to change the rules and allow natural dogs to be shown. This would then give breeders and owners the option.

**In Australia it is now illegal to dock a dog’s tail unless it is for medical reasons. Ear cropping as never been either compulsory or fashionable here.

17. winterrules says:

I have a German Shorthair pointer with an undocked tail. He was imported from a country where docking is no longer legal. He looks more like an English Pointer because of the tail. I have no problem with his long tail. He’s a sled dog, not a hunting dog. His dewclaws were not removed either because of the laws where he was born. That is more of a potential problem than his tail. I would not request a dog undocked because it is not important to me. Most mushers I know who run pointers don’t dock the tails but they do remove dewclaws. Those who run huskies remove dewclaws because they interfere with booties and are prone to injury from crusty snow.

18. Shanna says:

Let me put a different spin on this question. I do Doberman rescue and the undocked dogs we get in are nearly impossible to place. Ears aren’t as big of a deal, but every time we get a Dobie in with a full tail we all do a little prayer that the dog will find a home because it is really hard to place them. For the minor bit of pain the dog feels when having their tail docked is in my opinion very marginal when you factor in that if you ever have to rehome that dog it is easier if it matches the breed standard. I feel 100% that dogs are a lifetime commitment, but let’s be realistic, bad things happen and there is a small chance that you may one day have to rehome your dog. You could die, get cancer and not have time for the dog, your children could be deathly allergic, you may lose your job and not have the money to provide for the dog, etc.
    Sometimes I think that it is in the best interest of the dog to match the breed standard for that very reason.